21 Sept- 6 Oct
Somerset Art Works- celebrating 25 years of Somerset Art Weeks
This year marks the Silver Anniversary of Somerset Art Weeks with the first event in 1994 featuring 160 venues with artists, art groups, organisations and one-off exhibitions taking part. It’s now the largest visual arts event in the county. Art Weeks has evolved since 1994 with the essence of art at the heart of Somerset, investing in the arts community and enriching lives.
Somerset Art Weeks Festival runs from 21 September- 6 October and will host a diverse programme of inspiring art exhibitions, workshops, talks, films and installations in 135 locations across Somerset, alongside exciting new commissions, group shows and education projects involving over 300 artists.
Explore a great showcase of contemporary art and craft in all media including:
• Special commissions: ‘County of Contrasts’, exploring the enigmatic elements and hidden stories of the County through site specific work- new artistic approaches connecting with Festival visitors in unexpected ways
• SAW Craft Residency at Somerset Rural Life Museum with South West Heritage Trust and associated Makers. Celebrating craftsmanship in Somerset and beyond
• A special exhibition at Taunton Brewhouse to celebrate the 25th Anniversary and founding of the organisation. An opportunity to look back at the successes of Members past and present and to reflect on the development of the event and their work
• Five Creative Pathway Bursaries, supporting emerging artists to develop and show their work
• New for this year; additional Project Development Bursaries for Artists, supporting mid-career artists to develop their ideas and ambitions
• SAW’s Education programme with resources for schools and colleges to plan Art Weeks visits. There will also be Family-Friendly activities and the Family-Friendly Finale weekend
• Specially-invited guest artists, curators and partner venues taking part, from around the county and further afield
• Workshops, talks and guided visits- part of a special Silver Anniversary Events Programme