Somerset Art Works has been delivering a programme of community engagement activities in North Taunton through the Our Place project since 2014.
Our creative programme in North Taunton encourages people to explore their neighbourhoods, identify opportunities to improve the local environment for play, attractiveness, ecological diversity and health and wellbeing.
Our aims are to develop:
Sustainable community environments, places and spaces
Our programme for 2018 includes:
Lyngford Labyrinth – Wild flower meadow labyrinth on Lyngford Park.
See our 2 minute film made by Reuben Jelley at the popular Pride in Priorswood summer activity days organised by Priorswood Community Centre. Somerset Art Works’ artists Christopher Jelley, Sarah Langley and Flora Arbuthnott led free creative activities for families.
Priorswood Community Centre 20 year Anniversary Project – Celebration wall hanging, mugs, textiles and interior design.
Multimedia Youth Project on Lyngford Park – Project with local young people, creative use of technology to have a voice in the community
In 2017 we continued our work in the area with new funding from the Postcode Local Trust to engage with local people to collectively improve community spaces.
In 2016 Somerset Art Works successfully gained a Pocket Park grant to work with the communities of North Taunton and Taunton Deane Borough Council to improve and refresh a run-down play area known locally as ‘The Cage’. Through wildlife-friendly planting and community engagement activities we aim to transform an ugly, underused public space into somewhere that can be enjoyed and appreciated by all ages.
Full details on the Blackthorn Gardens Pocket park Click Here
2014-15 Project Work was funded by The People’s Health Trust, an independent charity addressing health inequalities across Great Britain. Taunton Deane Borough Council and Arts Council England also provided funding and project work included:
- Craftivist Garden workshops with Nina Gronw-Lewis
- Partnering Somerset Wildlife Trust on the Routes to the River Tone Project in North Taunton – Nature street art, guerilla art trail, family fun days in the park, artists working in public spaces.
- Community Gardening project in North Taunton with Sarah Langley
- Film and documentation of project work with Somerset Film
- Community Weave Bombing and Consultation at the Pride in Priorswood events, summer
- A course of Weaving Workshops with Penny Wheeler, through the Z-Twist project
More project documentation is on our you tube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/websitesaw/videos
Somerset Art Works artist Emma Finch is working with Priorswood Community Centre to celebrate their 20th anniversary.
Somerset Art Works worked in collaboration with Somerset Wildlife Trust on the Routes to the River Tone Project in Taunton in 2015.
In this section:
- Routes to the River Tone with Somerset Wildlife Trust
- Lyngford Labyrinth
- Pride in Priorswood Community Consultation Days
- Priorswood Community Centre – Celebrating 20 Years
- Weaving Workshops at Priorswood Community Centre
- Weave Bombing and Pom Poms
- Craftivist Garden
- Blackthorn Gardens Pocket Park
- North Taunton Community Gardening Project